Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ethan's Eagle Scout Court of Honor Reception Treats

I am very pleased with how all of the recipes turned out, especially the sugar cookies. It is definately my favorite sugar cookie recipe. It is not too sweet and has a nice crumb in the mouth, but holds together nicely for decorating.

Sugar Cookie Recipe
from: Sweetopia blog

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups butter (at room temperature)

2 cups sugar

2 large eggs

seeds from 1 vanilla bean (or 3 tsp vanilla)

5 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt
Instructions:

1. Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer on low to medium speed. (Use the paddle attachment). Mix until thoroughly incorporated – for about one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a plastic spatula and mix again for a few seconds more.

Over mixing the butter and sugar in this step will cause too much air to be incorporated into the dough. If you’d like a light and fluffy cookie, that’s ideal, however the dough will spread more during baking; not ideal if you’d like the cookie to hold its shape.

2. Add eggs slowly and mix. Scrape down the bowl with your spatula at least once and mix again.

3. Cut open your vanilla bean and scrape the seeds out. Add to mixing bowl. Alternatively, add liquid vanilla extract. Stir briefly.

4. Sift your dry ingredients together. (Flour, baking powder and salt).

5. Add all of the flour mixture to the bowl. Place a large tea towel or two small tea towels between the edge of the bowl and the electric mixer so that the flour won’t escape. Mix on low speed for 3o seconds. Remove the tea towels and observe the dough mixing; when it clumps around the paddle attachment it’s ready. It’s also important at this stage not to over mix the dough (the glutens in the flour develop and the dough can become tough).

6. Roll the dough out between 2 large pieces of parchment paper. Place on a baking sheet and into the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.

7. Roll out the dough further if you need to, and cut out cookie shapes. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Re-roll scraps and repeat.

8. Put cookie dough shapes back into the fridge for 10 minutes to 1 hour to chill again. They will then hold their shape better when baked.

9. Preheat your oven to 350°F or 176°C.

10. Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes or until the edges become golden brown. The baking time will depend on the size of your cookie.

11. Let cookies cool to room temperature and decorate!

---------------

Royal Icing Using Egg Whites:
from: JoyofBaking.com

2 large egg whites

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

3 cups (330 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted

For Royal Icing with Egg Whites: In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the egg whites with the lemon juice. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth. The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when exposed to air. Cover with plastic wrap when not in use.

------------------

Savory Cranberry, Pistachio 7 Goat Cheese Palmiers
Adapted From: Tasty Kitchen
1 whole Sheet Of Purchased Puff Pastry, Thawed
2-3 ounces, weight Goat Cheese (chevre), Room Temperature
1/2-3/4 cups (slightly Packed) Dried Cranberries
1/4-1/2 cups Pistachios, Roughly Chopped

Preparation Instructions

Roll the puff pastry sheet into a rectangle that is at least 8 inches wide and no less than 1/8-inch thick. With the standard puff pastry sheets found in the grocery stores, you won’t have much rolling to do.

Spread goat cheese over the puff pastry and top with dried cranberries and pistachios. Using your hand, lightly press the cranberries and pistachios into the cheese. Roll each long end of the rectangle into the center. Chill for about 15 minutes.

Cut the roll crosswise into 1/8-inch slices and divide the palmiers between two baking sheets covered with parchment paper. Chill for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Bake the palmiers until they are puffed and light golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Quickly flip the palmiers and place back in the oven, switching positions of the baking sheets. Bake for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the palmiers to a cooling rack and cool completely before serving.

Make ahead: The palmiers can be baked and then store in the fridge in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days, or frozen. Before serving, place unthawed palmiers on a baking sheet in a 350 degree F oven for 5 minutes.

--------------

Sausage and Cheese Pinwheels
Adapted from: Tasty Kitchen

2 rolls of Crescent Dough
1 pound Pork Sausage
1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded


Preparation Instructions

Using store-bought or homemade crescent dough, lightly flour a surface and roll the dough into as much of a rectangular shape as you can (they won’t be perfect, don’t worry). Using a tube or package of flavored pork sausage, spread half of the sausage onto each piece if dough. Do the same with the cheese. Roll up each crust into a log and slice with a serrated knife, making them about 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Discard the end pieces without sausage. Reshape the pinwheels if necessary and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes or until the sausage is cooked and the crust is golden brown. Enjoy!

The favorite things I made for the reception was the special water bottles. They were easy and fun to do. I was inspired by those that Amanda made. I simply made a template in Adobe Photoshop. I was able to fit 7 strips that were 1.5" by 8". I made 4 different designs: A young Ethan, Ethan and his Patches, A Boy Scout and awards, and a pergola design. I did not bother to remove the original label, but simply used my tape runner to apply double sided tape, being careful to place it right the ends and a few in the middle.

81 comments:

  1. I LOVE your water bottle labels. My son is having his court of honor in a couple of weeks and would love to copy your idea. Would you be willing to share the template? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This is an excellent idea!!! I would really love to do this for my son's Eagle court of honor that is coming up. Could you please share your template?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love you idea for the water bottles!! We're having my son's Eagle Scout Ceremony next month. Do you think you could email me the template as well? I would really appreciate it!!! my email is: emmysjewelry@gmail.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI there, I have been searching the internet high and low and your labels are truly the best. I would love the share if you don't mind. I am happy to give credit for your work as well. :) kimberlygrove1 at comcast dot net
    Thank you. My son's eagle COH is Feb 1st, this would be the perfect complement to the program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are awesome labels. What type of paper did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you send template to me too at terrileehumphrey@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you send template to me too at Johnandlula@yahoo.com
    Thanks in advance!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous idea! I would truly appreciate your photoshop template. dhillsmail@yahoo.com
    Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your idea and would really like to use the template to make some for my son's eagle court this week. Would you mind sending it to me too? Thanks! kdskinners@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your idea too! You have set an inspirational Eagle Court of Honor trend.if you would share your template with me as well, I would so appreciate it. Thanks so much. barbmcanany@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your idea. Do you mind sharing the template. I'm organizing my son's Eagle Court of honor. My email is yrisneyra@gmail.com. Thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you your idea. Would you mind sharing it. I have my son's court of honor in two weeks. Please send it to yrisneyra@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea! Would you mind sharing template? jviancourt@comcast.net.
    Can't wait to share with future eagles in our troop!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had thought about doing these and googled them . I saw them at a wedding a few years ago & they were done "professionally"...la di da! Then I saw your post and "pinned" it months back thinking I was going to be able to do them quick as a wink. I think I have made my own template on MS Publisher, but was wondering where you got your "ON MY HONOR" to paste. All mine come out wonky when I paste them on my labels! Thanks again for your tutorial on these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would love the tutorial... My son's COH is in August! cmforbes@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. My sons COH is in Aug, and I would love to do the water bottles
    jrbutler58@hotmail.com
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    My nephew's court of honor is in August and I just found this pin. I'd love to make these for him and the 2 others that are sharing this honor. Can you please send me the template. I'd really appreciate it! My email is nichol.devita.james@gmail.com. Thanks so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these my sons eagle Ceremony is in August I also would love to have this template to do water bottles for him... cyprrt@gmail.com Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am another mom hoping you'll share your template. My son's COH is September 13th and I would love to make these for the occasion!

    Thanks so much!
    teresaasquith@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. ok, another one of us pesky but proud moms hoping you will share your water bottle template, they are so cool. Thanks, YIS
    munsonme@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok, by now you have figured out that your water bottle labels are sensational. I am yet another Mom/committee chair that would love this template. I am sure you have been bombarded and will understand if you don't have time to send it, but it would be greatly appreciated if you do. candylewis99@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another pesky but proud mama, but these labels are perfect. Could you send your template to me too?
    Murphymamacita@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am another proud mom who is planning her son's Eagle Ceremony. I love your water bottle idea. Would you be willing to share the template with me? kkjones@wi.rr.com. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the idea and I am planning something for the end of February. Will you ALSO share the template with me? Thank you so much.
    christine355@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I also am planning my son's Court of Honor. Would love to have these. They are the best i've seen! I know this is an older post but will you share the template? Thank you so much ginaroberts@socal.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your water bottle labels. They are by far the best I've seen! What appeals the most to me is the pictures tell a small story of your son's journey in Boy Scouts. I am planning my son's Court of Honor and would love to use these. Would you mind sharing the template? If so, please send to:
    d_leonard2001@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am one of the dozens that LOVE your water bottle labels. If you are agreeable to sharing, I would greatly appreciate it. melissafelsted@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Could you please share your Court of Honor water bottle template with me? I Love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Could you please share your Court of Honor water bottle template with me? I Love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Please share the water bottle template with me too! This is such a creative and fun idea!!! wholelotasoul@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I would also love the eagle water bottle template. Email: scouts@adbdesign.com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. If you don't mind sharing the template, I would like to receive a water bottle template as well. Email: mimifv@gmail.com Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm planning my son't Eagle Scout Court of Honor and it's in 3 weeks. Thanks and have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Would love to use your template if possible. I did this two years ago for my older Eagle & cannot find what I used. Think I did it in Paint but I'm going mad trying to get it to the right size!! YIS, Lisa lreade@insight.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Please send your template for the water bottles to me as well at hleepark@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would love to use your water bottle template as well. Email: angie.christensen@northbutler.k12.ia.us
    Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would also love the template!! It's just great! thank you so much. Traci Newton. Traciacm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would also love the template!! It's just great! thank you so much. Traci Newton. Traciacm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would also love the template!! It's just great! thank you so much. Traci Newton. Traciacm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I was wondering if you still have the template and I could get it? My sons court of Honor is November 14 and that would be fun to have on the water bottles. my email is powell.margaret@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I was also wondering if you still have the template an if I could get it? My sons court of honor is Feb 2016 an I would LOVE to use this idea my email address is aclaytonmays@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I like all the mom's before me posting am putting together a Eagle Court of Honor and wondering if you are sharing your template. If so my email is: swellman74.sw@gmail.com Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I agree with everyone. Yours are by far the best looking. I was wondering what type of paper you used, so that the condensation of the water bottle being cold, didn't mess up the bottle wrap. Also, would you please email me the template to kdilly@bellsouth.net Thank you so much in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  45. These are by far the best looking labels out there!! Would you mind sending the template to awcwo@hotmail.com?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for sharing these amazing water bottle labels! My son's Eagle Project involved collecting a large quantity of cases of water for a local Fire Department to give out to folks in need. This would perfect at his court of honor in recognition of his project and those that helped. Would you be willing to share your template with me at brothamer@cox.net. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love the water bottle labels. My son and two other scout friends are having eagle coh next week and I would love to have the template. If you would be so kind to share at sed6257@yahoo.com.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  48. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the labels!!! Can you please email the template to me as well? shelleykimberly1@gmail.com I truly appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I have to echo the compliments. Is there an instructable or can you send me the directions as well. Millikenrhonda@bellsouth.net Thanks! Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hello! Your water bottle labels look great! Could you please send the template if you have time? I'd like to use them for my son's COH. Thanks. kel_packham@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi! Would you please forward the water bottle template for Eagle CoH? Thank you!
    amkt.horne@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hello. We're scrambling for my son's Court of Honor in 2 weeks. If possible, can you forward the template for the water bottle label? This would be perfect. Thanks. Sue. soopeyc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hello! Your eagle water bottle labels are fabulous! Would you mind please sharing your template with me? My email is dlk.gca@gmail.com. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hello:
    I love your water bottle idea. My son is going to be an Eagle next week can you please send me the template.

    Thank you
    missysonoma@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. Any way you could share with me as well? Many thanks! rockinrobins5@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Love the water bottle templete. Can you send to me at skterrill@yahoo.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Love the water bottle templete. Can you send to me at skterrill@yahoo.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I would love to have your water bottle template if you're sharing: angelajohnson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  60. I would love to have your water bottle template if you're sharing: angelajohnson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  61. Oh my goodness I would love the template too. My son received his mission call and my other son got his Eagle the same day. I'm doing a farewell and eagle court of honor on the same day. I've only got a month so this would help me so much! Thanks so much! Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  62. These are perfect. I would love the template if you are willing to share. My email is masforcreative@aol.com. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  63. I am also planning my son's Eagle Court of Honor and would really appreciate the template. Thank you, Charlotte
    email is loko4yoko@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hello! Your eagle water bottle labels are fabulous! Would you mind please sharing your template with me? dabestbearsfan@yahoo.com Thank you so much for being willing to help computer illiterate people like myself. :)
    dabestbearsfan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  65. They are so cute!! Could we get the template as well? joshstoyworld@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  66. Your template for the water bottle labels is so original. I would greatly appreciate your template if you share. Please and thank you...
    bpiszek@verizon.net
    Beth from Ambler, PA

    ReplyDelete
  67. My boys ceremony is May 19. I don't have adobe photoshop. Is there still a way to make the labels for the water? I wish I was craftier but that is not my forte. I would love your help
    Thank you! colleenevans4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. May I have the template also please?
    flnursegirl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  69. I love, love, love, your water bottles template. Could you please email your template ? My son's Eagle COH is in October. Thank you so much. pamazito@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  70. I love your water bottles would you please send me your template my son is going to have his ceremony in February

    ReplyDelete
  71. Ok. to pile on, may I, too, have your template for the water bottles? thank you...trw040@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  72. I bet you can't guess what I would like. You got it, my son's Eagle Court is coming up and your water bottle templates are the best I have seen. I would love your templates. cindyrbtx@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  73. Any chance I can get a copy of the template? Thanks YOU! michelle@jmtrj.org

    ReplyDelete
  74. Well... here I am, 24 hours out from my son's COH and we've decided to do these (or so I've been told). If I could get this template, that would be awesome! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Can I Have the template also my son will be having his court of Honor March 9th 2019. All credit given to you.

    ReplyDelete
  76. My son's court of honor is next month. I love your water bottles! Would be delighted if you can share your water bottle template.
    My email is mgotis100@aol.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Is there any chance you are still sharing your template for the water bottle? I would love to have these for my son's Eagle COH. Thank you, joleneleask@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  78. I would also love the template if you are still sharing. Thank you! mmgraham6@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete